Saturday, October 1, 2011

Another Recipe (Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars)...and some other stuff

I discovered another very easy and incredibly (resisting the urge to use "totally") tasty treat over on the Cookies and Cups blog, where I found the recipe for the Melted Ice Cream Cake (remember that? mmmmmm).  I read it yesterday morning and immediately went and got the ingredients that I didn't have: crescent rolls and cream cheese.  Already had the butter sugar and cinnamon. That's all you need and....

Wa-La!  Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars  (I know, it's supposed to be oila, with an accent thingy, but I don't even know if I spelled that right...):
I can't even tell you how good these are.  And SO easy. Nice sweet, creamy, cream cheese-y middle, between two layers of flaky cresent roll dough and topped with melted butter, cinnamon and sugar for a little crunch.  O. M. G.  Go. Make. These. 

(Some of you weren't able to use the link to the recipe on the last post, so here it is without all the nice pictures from Cookies and Cups.  For those who don't care, scroll down for the rest of the post!):
  • 2 cans Crescent Rolls
  • 2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese (room temp)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Unroll 1 can of crescent rolls and lay flat in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Stretch the rolls to cover the bottom of the pan. Pinch any seams closed.
  3. In a mixing bowl combine cream cheese, 1 cup sugar and vanilla until combined and smooth.
  4. Spread this over top of the crescent roll.
  5. Unroll your remaining can of crescent rolls and lay this on top of the cream cheese mixture, again, pinching closed any open seams.
  6. Pour your melted butter on top of the crescent roll.
  7. In a bowl mix the remaining sugar and tablespoon of cinnamon together and sprinkle that evenly on top of butter.
  8. Bake for 30 minutes until top is golden brown.
  9. Let cool for approximately 20 minutes and then put in refrigerator to completelychill before cutting into squares.
So, then I was all, "Hey, I have some time while this bakes, why don't I sew the buttons on the hats I made for Benjamin and Michaela?"  If you know me at all, you know I'm terribly impatient, and sewing buttons on is a dreaded activity for me.  I'm all done knitting - I just want it all to be done.  I have procrastinated for MONTHS putting buttons on.  Once, when I owned the shop, I had finished a knitted coat for quite some time and we were going to take it to a festival to display, and Yvette took pity on me, took it home and put the buttons on.  I have also made several cardigans that have button holes, but I've never put the buttons on, instead using a shawl stick to hold it closed at the top!

I have even offered to PAY people to sew buttons on for me (thanks to Joan, who sewed the buttons on my Baby Surprise Jacket, and didn't even want the $5 I said I'd give her for doing it!).  Now, when someone is paying ME to put buttons on, since I do take on finishing projects through The Spinning Room, I gladly do it.  No problems there.  Money is a big motivator which is why I offered it to Joan.  She happily took on the job and didn't even want the green.

Why I suddenly had this urge to put buttons on, I can't explain but figured I better capitalize on this enthusiasm while it lasted.  So, what's wrong with this picture?:

Need another view?:

The buttons are on the wrong side!!!!!  How are they supposed to button it?????

Here's what it's supposed to look like:

Threw me over the edge, I tell ya.  So, snip , snip and I had to re-do them:
And now they are done and delivered to Benjamin and Michaela.  The hats look a little funny now, and are much cuter when worn by adorable babies. (P.S. There are two buttons because the hat is nice and stretchy, so when the baby gets bigger, they use the lower button and it can fit them for longer.  Pretty clever, huh?) (P.P.S. Aviatrix baby hat on Ravelry)

And after all that procrastinating and telling you about procrastinating, guess how long it took me to put the buttons on these?  Five. Minutes.

How about some updates?

Knitting Update:
Here is the progress on my Froot Loop socks (the ones I knit during my lunch breaks and when I get assigned to the apple barn on a very slow, rainy, cold day -- this past Thursday):
I love the pinks in this and the pattern has been pretty easy to memorize.  When I get a little more knitted, I'll show you anothe picture so you can actually see the "froot loops".  Very cute.

And I started the Boogie Vest for the knit-along going on at The Spinning Room (starting today):
I know, doesn't look like much.  Click on the link up there and you can see what it will look like.  I'm using the Ella Rae Chunky Superwash which I love.  Very nice to work with and not scratchy even though it is wool.
Homestead Update:
The chimmey is done!:
However.   See those light colored drips running down it?  They were in a hurry to finish up on a very rainy day and didn't give it enough time to dry before they took the tarp off.  They have to come back and fix that -- and I hope the cider donuts and apple crisp I gave to the guys makes them feel guilty enough is an incentive for them to come back quickly.   The important thing is, now the chimney won't crumble and fall apart this winter. 

And, look what Paul did a few days ago:
The first wood-stacking of the season.  Today it is only 47 degrees so we might need it soon!

Stay tuned for the next post where I show you another, very special, item I received to keep me warm this winter....

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget to share photos of the little ones with their new hats on ! ..... Thanks for the receipt - yummy. Please don't stack the wood up too much further in front of that room there LOL:))) ...
    The chimney looks fantastic !!!