Friday, January 25, 2013

Finishing and Starting

I'm starting off with TWO book reviews today!  Yes, TWO.
Ferris Beach by Jill McCorkle:  I loved this book.  It is a coming of age story that takes place in the early 1970's.  Katie is an only child, shy, self-conscious and lonely -- then Misty and her family move into the neighborhood from Ferris Beach (an exciting and wonderful place to Katie).  Misty and her mother and exciting and outrageous, and everything that Katie wants to be.  They become fast friends.  Then something happens that changes all of their lives, and we see it all unfold through Katie's eyes.  It is a heartbreaking, funny, touching story with family secrets, teenage angst, adult angst and mother-daughter dynamics.  The writing is wonderful and the author did an excellent job of developing each character (lots of them) so I really understood them.  Excellent!

Notorious Nineteen: A Stephanie Plum Novel by Janet Evanovich:  I've read every book in this series and this one did not disappoint.  The continuing saga of Stephanie Plum, amateur bounty hunter and the troubles she encounters not only with her "skips" but also in her conflicted love life (Ranger vs. Morelli).  Lots of fun and excitement and a little drama thrown in.  I was starting to feel that maybe these books were starting to be a little too familiar (same things happening, just different people) and that maybe I wasn't enjoying them as much.  But, when I read this one, I still read it quickly - as I usually do her books, since the pace is always fun and exciting - and found myself wanting to turn the next page.  I think I can relate it to a great TV show that's been on for years that you love - you may have an idea of the style of the show and the kinds of plot lines, but it's still fun and exciting to watch because you are familiar with the characters.  And maybe have a little allegiance to them too.  And I'm still waiting to see if Stephanie will ever choose between Ranger and Morelli.

[P.S.  Short public service announcement.... Did you know that if you click on the links I provide and buy something from Amazon, I will get a tiny kickback from your purchase?  That also goes for if you click on my side bar of "My Favorite Stuff".   Even if you purchase something other than what's on my list, it will count -- you just have to get there through my link.  That's what helps this be my third part time job!  End of commercial.   Ooh, except thank you for your support of my blog!]

On to Knitting News:
I'm starting more projects.  Without even touching any of my languishing unfinished projects.  That's all I have to say about that.
I started the Trousseau shawl.  Here is the pattern picture:
Mine looks like this:
I'm making a modification in that I'm making it larger than shown in the first picture.  That one ends up just below the shoulders and I think this one will go closer to the waist.  I think.  I hope I did the yarn calculation correctly...

And I started the Little Coffee Bean Cardigan:
pattern picture
 Mine will be in these colors:
I know!  Totally outside my box (which is mostly purple or blue/purple).  But I love it.  Nice and bright and great for a baby.

Both of these will be for classes, hopefully in March.  And I'm also going to work on a little spring/Easter project too.  Details later...

In News from Home:
They told us this would happen but now we have proof:

Our wood floors are getting darker.  You wouldn't know it to look at them but when we pulled the rug back it was really noticeable.  LOVE. OUR. WOOD. FLOORS!

Phoebe now loves her new bed:
See?  Doesn't she fit in it so much better than the other?  So much cozier!

And today, Paul comes home after being in Bangor, Maine for work since Sunday.  So, I'm surprising him with his favorite:
Pot roast!
Mmmmmmm.  I put in sweet potatoes and purple potatoes, carrots and onions.  And a McCormick spice mix thing that will make the gravy.

And now I'm off to print out clue #3 of my mystery sock knit-a-long.  I'm just loving these knit-a-longs!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the book review - it reminded me that Stephanie Plum and her grandmother with a gun are still out there !!! LOL ... I'm stuck reading a very BORING, convoluted "mystery" for book club (have to finish by tonight) and it's paiaiaiaianful .. gotta get one of Evanovitch's books ! :) ..Ferris Beach is also a possibility.
    Very interesting about the wood floors - are you going to take off the rugs ??! (so they'll darken evenly ). Is that the pot roast I smell ??? .... xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE EVERYTHING...(including the kitty in the bed ) and thanks for the tip on the links....i will most certainly use those and I am needing a book...Ferris Beach sounds just what I am looking for! and that Shawl....I think its the one that Catherine has in progress....I keep wanting to steal it and work on it....but I have managed to hold off and keep fighting with my current one....I just want it done and off the needles so I can knit something that won't fight with me every step of the way.....I want to run out and get some yarn and start knitting the shawl that you and Cath are working on.
    LvK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors for the Cardigan, very nice
    I could never in a million years knit that shawl, I like your blue color. Phoebe looks cozy and warm. Dinner looks good I bet it was!
    I have a pinched nerve and nerve damage in my neck and back pain preventing me from my projects
    Robin would not be happy with me, started the sampler cowl and thats as far as I got was taking her class. Hope to pick it up again soon.
    Annette

    ReplyDelete