Friday, September 23, 2011

A recipe: Mmmmmmm..... Apple Crisp

There is nothing better on a fall day than apple crisp.  I'm starting to write this post as it's baking and the house is filled with yummy cinnamon-y, brown-sugar-y, apple-y goodness.

My go-to recipe for apple crisp, among other things, is in  The New Good Housekeeping Cookbook (click there or here:The Good Housekeeping Cookbook: 1,275 Recipes from America's Favorite Test Kitchen (Good Housekeeping Cookbooks)Cooking, Food & Wine Books).
My mom gave me this book in 1993 when I moved into my very first apartment.   I use it all the time, not only for apple crisp but for meatloaf (but I add more ketchup), banana bread (I add more bananas), macaroni and cheese, lemon baked chicken, lasagna, popovers (when I don't use the mix from Jordan Pond House).  It's got everything in it.  Love.  It.

See?  Here are all my pages turned down to mark my favorites:


I used yummy Honey Crisp apples, which I raved about in another post .  I have since found out, by the way, that this year the Honey Crisp apples are not as much in short supply and should be available throughout the season.  Yay!
While peeling one of the apples, I was able to get one, long peel without it breaking!:


Silly thing to be excited about.  Like I didn't have a whole bunch of other things to do than try to peel an apple without breaking the skin.  But still.... kinda cool.  I also love my apple peeler. (This is it:  OXO Good Grips Swivel PeelerPeelers)  I've had it for many years and it still peels!

Mmmmmmmmm:

I gave some to the chimney guys to take home. They are STILL here.  Working in the rain.

Here is the recipe (slightly adapted from The New Good Housekeeping Cookbook).:
Apple Crisp
8-ish to 10-ish cooking apples ( I just cut up enough to fill the dish almost to the top)
3/4c packed brown sugar
3/4c flour
1/2c old fashioned oats (I like these,but you can use quick-cooking)
1teaspoon cinnamon
1 stick butter, softened

Peel, core and slice apples.  Place them in a 9" X 13" baking pan that has been greased.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In medium bowl, mix brown sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon and butter until it resembles coarse crumbs (lumps of butter is ok --- mmmmmmm).  Sprinkle evenly over apples.  Bake 45 minutes or until apples are tender.  Serve warm. Or refrigerate and serve cold/warm later.  Or warm it up and serve it with ice cream.  Or warm it up and drizzle with some caramel.  Or warm it up and pour a little cream over it.

3 comments:

  1. A favorite since childhood. The recipe was from a Betty Crocker book and did not include oats and called for white sugar only! I prefer a recipe with oats now. Never thought to put caramel sauce on it. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a cookbook I should buy for myself !!! lOL :0) .....
    love your blog !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really look forward to reading your blogs Lizzy! You are soooo much fun! Aunt Chris:)

    ReplyDelete